Sunday, March 4, 2012
Week 8
When I'm eating, I don't really stop and think about where my food comes from. The first time I had really considered it, was because I had seen a comical, political picture referencing it. Even so, I didn't really know the business behind our food, or about the living conditions of the workers. I was pretty shocked to see that, at such a low wage, it took five years of peaceful protest for the workers to get the chance to discuss improved wages with their employers. I understand that minimum wages were lower in 1965 than they are today, and things were cheaper and that the weight of the dollar has changed, and so on. Even so, the workers had to endure harsh working conditions in order to receive their pay, and it seems unfair that they had to do so much to get the attention and respect they had wanted from the growers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment