Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week 1

Revolutionary change is more desperately urgent than ever, but we do not know any more what revolution means.
-John Holloway

This week in class, the topic of "revolution" was discussed. Before the term itself was defined, we saw how revolution was conveyed in the media. These days everything from ball-point pens to cars seems to have been described as "revolutionary". Through the media, it has become steadily apparent that we have lost a true concept of what revolution actually means.
I don't usually watch a lot of TV, but I did hear a few excerpts from the Golden Globes while I was cooking dinner tonight. Oddly enough, I overheard someone talking about revolution; a TV actor was talking about what to expect on the new season of a program he stars in. He said that some of the topics covered on the show would be "revolutionary".
Previously I would have ignored this kind of statement; after all, I don't have much interest in TV, save for a few shows. However, I was reminded of how we had defined revolution. For purposes of discussion, a definition we used was that revolution is a sudden wrenching of people out of their accustomed patterns of seeing and believing. I found it interesting to think about, whether or not a music TV show about high school could actually be as revolutionary as the actor seemed to believe, or if this was another case of the media romanticizing revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment